Thptic tank in your home might not be enjoyable to clean, but it’s crucial to clean the septic tank because skipping this process means that whatever goes into the tank will return to the ground. That’s undoubtedly something nobody wants to happen, least of all you. It is easy to forget about cleaning your septic tank because it is not in plain sight. Cleaning and maintaining a septic tank may not be at the forefront of your mind, but it’s an important topic to explore. Some specific tools and products help in cleaning that you could use. So it will help if you understand when and how to clean your storage tank.
When should you clean your tank?
Knowing the right time to clean your tank will save you from a lot of stress in the long run. Let us look at cases where it becomes necessary to clean your tank;
- Internal inspection; it is crucial to conduct an internal assessment from time to time. During this inspection process, the tank must be taken out of service, cleaned, and ready for the inspector to enter the storage tank.
- Tank problems; if you detect a mechanical failure in your tank, you may need to empty the tank, clean it and ensure it is vapor free before you can make repairs. The fundamental goal of a tank cleaning is to provide a safe environment for whoever will be entering the storage tank to perform any repairs or inspections.
- Changing products being stored; if you want to store a different product in the tank, the tank needs to be thoroughly cleaned. For example, all residue and impurities must be removed if you are switching from crude oil to gasoline.
How do you clean your storage tank?
Cleaning a storage tank may seem like an arduous task. However, it is doable. First, the owner of the storage tank must pump or drain the product until the tank has lost suction from the low suction nozzle. As a result, several thousand gallons of the product will still lie below the tank’s low suction line and must be removed. Once this is done, the tank removal company will perform some of these steps;
- Lockout electrical connections on pumps, mixers, and similar mechanical equipment.
- The tank must then be isolated from the system by draining down the lines, removing the valves, and installing nozzles and pipeline flanges with blind flanges of the appropriate size.
- Using a vacuum truck or other pumping device, remove the remaining product from the tank.
- Perform mechanical venting to eliminate dangerous vapors, ideally to a lower explosive limit (LEL) of 10 or less.
- Remove the final product puddles via vacuum truck by squeegeeing the tank floor.
- Wash the floor, walls, and underneath the side of the tank’s floating roof.
The importance of cleaning your storage tank
Cleaning a septic tank will help you eliminate risks. Therefore, a lack of proper cleaning or maintenance can lead to severe issues. The first issue is the inconvenience of backed-up plumbing. For septic systems, a distasteful, smelling problem can also become a headache that causes a smelly, squishy lawn and other unsightly problems. Therefore, regular cleaning eliminates the risk of a costly system failure.
Additionally, cleaning your septic can be considered stewardship toward your community and environment. Poorly maintained and failing systems can contribute to harmful wastewater entering groundwater, wells, and local ecosystems. There is a health risk here for humans, domestic animals, and pets. There is also a risk of pollution in rivers, lakes, and other recreational areas, making them unsafe and unusable.
Septic tank cleaning is vital because it maintains your community’s economic and aesthetic value. Conversely, failing septic systems pose a health threat, are expensive, and cause property values to decline over time.
The integrity of a septic tank depends on regular cleaning. First, you can get drainage products to help a better water flow. Likewise, there are tablets you can drop into the storage and work like an effervescent. They will fizz up inside it, cleaning up any grime and debris. As a result, they are flushed out of the drain pipe. The appropriate environmental authorities may recommend manually cleaning the septic tank, especially if you have a large household. Septic tank cleaning may seem complicated, but it’s necessary. However, it is recommended to hire a professional so you won’t have to stress yourself with the cleaning. You do not want that storage to become a huge health hazard now, do you?